Saturday, October 15, 2005

Dear Noah:

We were heading to the park today. We were getting some food at the drive through to take to the park for a picnic. I had seen a web site last night about 5 families with autistic kids who reportedly "recover" from their autism.

While sitting in the drive through I was talking to Daddy and said maybe we should NOT think that you will never be cured. I mean things are always possible. We had pretty much just quickly accepted the fact that you would never be cured or recover. Which brought us to a discussion about these 5 families and their kids and many others who over time have reported that their kids have been "cured" from autism.

They have all tried different things. Some medicines....some vitamins...some different therapies...some combined treatment. We had been told repeatedly that anyone with autism is never cured. You can learn to "cope" and get by in our world but you would always have autism.

For some reason we quickly accepted this ....so unlike the actual diagnosis process. We were quite hesitant to accept that.

Anyway.......I guess I really don't believe you will ever totally be cured from autism, which I think is just being realistic. Yes I believe in God and I believe HE can do anything. Nothing is impossible for Him.

BUT your Daddy said it best. He said "I guess I don't see Noah's autism as a detriment". AND that made me realize that I DON'T EITHER. THAT is why we have accepted the fact that you will never be cured from autism so easily and quickly....unlike many other parents who do nothing but search their entire lives and lives of their children seeking a cure! They want their kids to be mainstreamed and "indistinguishable" from their peers.

HUM....I don't see any problem with being distinguishable from your peers. I think it is great you are different. I am thankful your autism is not as bad as it could have been. I am thankful you are making progress and learning how to cope in our world. BUT....your Daddy and I have never ever wanted to CURE you. I guess part of us feels like if we CURED you...that you would become a zombie version of a regular-normal neurotypical child. Not necessarily distinguishable at all.

AND while you still have many issues to work through and you will continue to have these issues throughout your life most likely, you can process and think and see things completely differently than most of us can or ever will be able to. This makes you truly unique and special in your own way and could mean you will have very special talents...more so than an average Joe.

SO.......if someone said they could give you a magic potion to "cure" you.......I think your Daddy and I would be extremely hesitant....as you seem extremely happy just the way you are.....and even though it can be frustrating at times or even most of the time.....we are happy with you just as you are as well. To some this would sound crazy....as they want their kids to not be out of control or over the top about things or to not have the typical behaviors that go along with autism. We are all for improving your communication skills and language and dealing with things in society, etc. Don't get me wrong. BUT.....to strip all your little quirks away would mean destroying the biggest parts of WHO you are to yourself and to us.

I am not sure where I am going with all this. They are just some random thoughts I had after watching this video clip about these 5 families with their autistic kids. AND how they reportedly were cured of their autism. It made me question whether we should just accept the fact that you would never be cured of autism or if we should say it is possible.

AND Daddy quickly reminded me that "we don't feel your autism is detrimental". Challenging....yes. A totally bad thing? No. Exhausting?? YES. Rewarding?? YES. FRUSTRATING? YES. BUT something that we should seek to get rid of completely? We don't think so.

We love you Noah....JUST the way you are.

Mommy and Daddy

No comments: