Friday, December 21, 2007

Dear Noah....."school's out for winter and you have a fever"

I wonder what you think about...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


We went to see Grandma C. last night and were surprised to also see Grandma L. there visiting. So we had a very nice visit and stayed for supper.

You had a great last day of school for the year and the Christmas party was a success. You were so excited about the fact that you got to eat 2 fruit roll ups. You gave your parapro a photo-card with your school picture in it and when I asked you what you wanted to write inside it you said "I love you very much?" asking me if that was okay. I told you I thought that would be very sweet to write in the card so you did. Of course she also adores you and was totally thrilled with the card and present you picked out for her.

Life is so very sweet and I am so grateful for so much. Today you have a fever of around 102 degrees though it might be a little higher as you cannot really hold a thermometer in your mouth very well yet. The fact that you have a fever is ironically timed with an article I read this morning where these doctors have been given GRANT money to do research on autistic children's behavior "changing" when they have a fever. Well duh......I think everyone's behavior changes during a time of fever. However, without being able to offer up SPECIFICS they tried to say that the behaviors changed more than just what would normally change with children having a fever. Whatever that means. I do know when you have a fever you are very subdued and quiet and do not usually display any of your normal quirky tendencies. However, I think that applies to us all. No real big news there as far a I am concerned.

So today you have a fever which did not surprise me as I know you have had sinus issues again. You also said your throat was a little sore which I am sure is from postnasal drip. So it will likely be a PJ Day for you today with lots of symptomatic care and treatments from mommy dearest. I promise to try to NOT nag you! haha

I also read another horrific story about some autistic teens living in a group home who received 77 and 20+ skin shock treatments from the staff there because someone called in ordering it via the phone and the idiots working there provided the treatments without verifying jack shit about the caller apparently because the call ended up being a prank. DO NOT EVEN GET me started on what I think about that fiasco. I am happy to hear 7 employees from that facility were apparently fired. Has anyone seen what shock therapy does to anyone over a period of time? This is not the shock therapy that you are probably thinking of. It is "skin" shock therapy but still. They say the shocks feel like bee stings.

SO okay.....imagine getting stung by a bee 77 times in a row.....one right after the other. HOW WOULD THAT MAKE YOU FEEL AND REACT? It amazes me anyone with half a brain would think that would actually CALM ANYONE down and not make them end up having bad behavior long-term. It is very much like poking at an animal in a cage....over time the animal becomes very mean.....mainly due to its own defense mechanisms kicking in. They learn to not trust ANYONE around them. They live with huge levels of anxiety because they never know what is coming up next or when. Apparently these kids were awakened from SLEEP in the middle of the night to get their "treatments" and I use that word LIGHTLY. AND they said they were using it as PUNISHMENT for the teens not doing something correctly earlier that day or the day prior. Holy shit.....you have to correct children immediately when they do something wrong especially with autistic kids....NOT hours or days later! You have to replace the negative behavior with POSITIVE behavior. I do not see ANYTHING positive in this mode of therapy.

I am so thankful Noah you are not in any group home and I cannot imagine anyone wanting to leave their child in a home like that although apparently some say it has helped their children be able to "get by" in our world.

Of course we all hear horrific stories about nursing homes too and children being abused in foster care, etc. I really want to focus on the positives but sometimes it can be very difficult to do so.

During this time of year when we all start to reflect on days gone by and times ahead, I really am so grateful for so very much. I am so thankful Noah we finally found a school and staff who are really working well with you to make your school experience a success. They do not give up on you and I am thrilled with that. Your parapro loves you and cares for you like I would and I cannot ever say enough about that....ALL answers to my prayers and expressed concerns I had before you started school. Our GOD is powerful and great. Our universe has abundant resources to give if we only ask and believe it and imagine it as already real. AND then most of all be "grateful."

I love you Noah.....and I am very thankful you are my little boy.

Mommy
XOXOXOX

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

5 comments:

Patty said...

Nice article, I to am happy and glad he has a parapro that likes him as much as he cares for her. And also a school that is working with him. That's great. I know some of the experiences you had while out in Co. Hope what ever the little bug is goes away and he's all well for Christmas. Love you both.

Anonymous said...

He sure looks different. Nice story and I am also happy for him. I will leave this greeting with you guys too...

For us old folks, it is a weary time of year. So as it winds down may I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy holiday and a prosperous new year.

Abraham and Patty Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo
Brookville, Ohio USA

KC's Blog said...

Poor guy, the fevers are hard for our kiddos. I have noticed though that when K.C. has a really high fever he seems more connected. I know it sounds bizarre but I swear he really does. Something about a fever makes K.C. look and be more connected. Have you noticed that with Noah?

Melissa said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon Noah!

kristi said...

Gosh that is such a sad thing to happen at that home. Makes me really angry!

I am glad Noah enjoyed his party and I hope you all had a great Christmas!